MARROWING TALE Mum rushed to A&E after being poisoned by eating rogue courgettes she grew during lockdown

 Danielle Baxter, 38, was rushed to A&E after she was poisoned by eating courgettes she grew during lockdownCredit: East News Press Agency

MUM Danielle Baxter was rushed to A&E after she was poisoned by eating rogue courgettes she grew during lockdown.
  
 Danielle, 38, was taken ill within hours of eating them in a roasted vegetable dish.

Danielle had planted Unwins seeds, sales of which have now been suspended Credit: East News Press Agency

She had planted Unwins seeds.

Last night, its parent company Westland suspended sale of its courgette packets.
It came as it was revealed garden supplier Mr Fothergill’s has recalled a batch of courgette seeds after families felt unwell.
Danielle said: “I had a high temperature and I was vomiting and had diarrhoea.
"I phoned 111 after seeing online that courgettes can produce poison.
“The paramedic told me to get checked out at A&E straight away. "I didn’t start feeling better until five days later.”
Some courgettes can produce abnormal amounts of cucurbitacins — a chemical that causes nausea and stomach upsets.

Danielle had planted Unwins seeds, sales of which have now been suspended Credit: East News Press Agency She had planted Unwins seeds.

Last night, its parent company Westland suspended sale of its courgette packets.



It came as it was revealed garden supplier Mr Fothergill’s has recalled a batch of courgette seeds after families felt unwell.


Danielle said: “I had a high temperature and I was vomiting and had diarrhoea.


"I phoned 111 after seeing online that courgettes can produce poison.


“The paramedic told me to get checked out at A&E straight away.



"I didn’t start feeling better until five days later


  Some courgettes can produce abnormal amounts of cucurbitacins — a chemical that causes nausea and stomach upsets.


Unwins seeds' parent company Westland suspended sale of its courgette packets Credit: East News Press Agency



Some courgettes can produce abnormal amounts of cucurbitacins — a chemical that causes nausea and an upset stomach Credit: East News Press Agency   
Danielle was taken ill within hours of eating the courgettes in a roasted vegetable dish Credit: East News Press Agency

Five years ago a German OAP died in a case linked to poisonous veg he used in a stew.
Carer Danielle, of Southend, Essex, said: “I didn’t even know there was a risk with courgettes.

“I enjoy gardening but don’t know much about it. I don’t think I’ll grow courgettes again.”

Guy Barter of the Royal Horticultural Society advised families to throw away any courgettes that taste bitter.
 
He said: “The bitterness is a sure sign something is amiss.”

Westland said: “This extremely rare occurrence can be caused by certain growing conditions rather than the seed itself, however, as a precaution we have temporarily suspended shipments while we investigate.”

Mr Fothergill’s said: “We’ve never had a batch of seeds like this in our 40+ year history.”

The Royal Horticultural Society advised families to throw away any courgettes that taste bitter Credit: East News Press Agency
 
Danielle said she doesn't think she'll grow courgettes again Credit: East News Press Agency
 
Source:
The Sun
 
MARROWING TALE Mum rushed to A&E after being poisoned by eating rogue courgettes she grew during lockdown MARROWING TALE Mum rushed to A&E after being poisoned by eating rogue courgettes she grew during lockdown Reviewed by PostDiscus on July 17, 2020 Rating: 5

No comments:

Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

Home Ads

ads 728x90 B
Powered by Blogger.