Biden speaks of unification, while party friends call for "domestic war"


Written by Sebastian Thormann for Tichys Einblick.

Rhetorically, Biden appears as a model democrat and healer, as an anti-Trump. He finds neither distance to left violent criminals nor to Democrats who want to hunt down Trump voters. Do actions follow his melodious words?

America has a new president. Joe Biden was sworn in as the 46th President of the United States yesterday at noon Eastern Standard Time. Donald Trump left the White House in the morning, announced his non-participation in the ceremony a day in advance and left the capital by plane for Florida. Vice President Pence and previous presidents like Obama, Bush and Clinton were present. The audience was hardly there due to Corona restrictions, so the new president spoke to a strip of lawn adorned with US flags between the Capitol and the Washington Monument.

The capital Washington was in the last few days a fortress, some even compared it to the “green zone” in Baghdad. Due to concerns after the "storm on the Capitol", the security measures were massively increased. Roads and bridges were closed days before. 15,000 national guards from various surrounding states were in the capital district, set up checkpoints and largely cordoned off the area around the Capitol.

In his inaugural address, President Biden spoke of “unity and healing” over and over again. Aside from a few indirect allusions to its predecessor, the speech itself was largely non-partisan and patriotic. Biden condemned “lawlessness” and the previous attack on the Capitol, from the steps of which he made his speech. He also stressed that he would be president for "all Americans".

Well, such rhetoric is actually nothing new, many presidents started their presidencies this way, so what he should be measured by are his actions. Many within his party put quite different tones on the day.

Democrat Steve Cohen portrayed all Republican voters as a potential danger when he spoke of the National Guard's operation: "The National Guard is 90% men and only about 20% of the white men voted for Biden," Cohen said. “Probably no more than 25% of the people protecting us voted for Biden. The other 75% are in the big class of people who might want to harm us. " Another one even called on Twitter for a "domestic war on sedition by American terrorists" and called his Republican opponent [Madison Cawthorn] for his participation in a Trump January rally in front of the White House more guilty than 95+ percent of the Guantanamo inmates".

Pulitzer Prize winner Nikole Hannah-Jones of the New York Times, when asked how to “deprogram” Trump supporters, suggested the 74 million Trump voters should be “punished”. On CNN , which likes to pose as a defender of press freedom, there was even talk of cutting off its conservative colleagues from Fox News from the program. Many conservatives now rightly fear that the left media and politicians are out to destroy them, even if they distance themselves from the violence at the Capitol. They don't see “unity and healing” anywhere, just merciless attacks from the left.

Source: Tichys Einblick
Biden speaks of unification, while party friends call for "domestic war" Biden speaks of unification, while party friends call for "domestic war" Reviewed by PostDiscus on January 21, 2021 Rating: 5

No comments:

Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

Home Ads

ads 728x90 B
Powered by Blogger.